It’s a Jungle out there and inside my head… Welcome! Happy to have you!
Sorry. As soon as I started typing a little Guns n’ Roses went off in my brain and thus, I just had to do it! You’ll find that I do this -brain dumping of song, music, or movie line references- a lot. I wouldn’t consider myself a professional blogger, vlogger, or any of those things. I’m just a material girl living in a material world. Okay, no. Well, probably a little now that I think about it, but in all semi-seriousness, I guess if you absolutely had to call this something you’d call this my blog (said like, “I’m Ron Burgundy?”)? A place where I can share my life with you and encourage you to share yourself with the world. Hence, the unfancy title “Life with Shannon”.
In a perfect world, one like the Jetson’s, where Judy steps into some tube and comes back all pretty and put together, “Life with Shannon”, would be the following things; real fun, real unedited, and real honest, and as a result, encourage you to do it too!
This is a lifestyle blog that exists to inspire those looking to – live a life that is authentic, bold, and purposeful. It is about all the knowns and unknowns of life. It is about knowing that in life we do not have a “spell check” feature to prevent us from making errors. Perfect is boo-ring! It is the unknown of… well, everything! We are flawed, but we don’t have to feel that way. You have a purpose and living it as you go doesn’t mean you’re doing it wrong. It means you’re doing it according to you!
What in the famously handsome, Sam Elliot, is “Life with Shannon” about?
It’s about you. It’s about me. It’s about all the shit I’ve learned and didn’t learn, done wrong and right, randomness, Life Coaching, pain, healing, growth, spelling errors, my family, your family, my dogs and cats, your dogs and cats, jokes, inappropriateness, cuss words, wine, whiskey, beer, coffee, Tinkerbell, fashion, farts, boogers, rock n’ roll, figuring shit out and something very serious and personal to me, Infertility. Yeah. Yeah. It’s all fun and games until someone throws the “infertility card”. Well, I was upfront. I told you this was about being unedited and honest, and for me, that includes infertility too.
I call him “babe” he calls me “his stuff”. Yup – before you get all feminist on him for dubbing me “his stuff” in his vows, in a room full of people (true story), and me for allowing it, know this, he’s imperfect, I’m imperfect, and I really fucking like it!
You know how they call James Dean “a rebel without a cause”? (If you didn’t, now ya do and you’re welcome!) Well, that’s kind of how I picture my husband, Scott. He’s handsome, complicated, artsy-fartsy, a little too little and a little too much all at the same time. He’s perfectly imperfect and he called me his “stuff” forever on November 30, 2012. From that day forward we’ve lived happily complicated after. We had the best wedding, we always have the best time together, I love him so much it’s gross, and you can party “on Wayne” down memory lane through photos with us here.
Have you ever seen the movie,
“Kindergarten Cop” with The Terminator?
Let me jog your memory, “Penis, Penis, Penis! Vagina, Vagina, Vagina!” You’re with me now. I know it. That’s how it sounds in my head every time I tell someone, “we struggle with infertility” and I watch them cringe with discomfort. Yes. We are reproductively challenged. No. I am not ah-scared to say it. You can read more about our story here.
While we’re challenged with fertility, we aren’t challenged with love. Cue – Awwwww! Or, barf! (I’m open to either, but I’m not cleaning it up.)
Fur babies, Calla & Lili.
Yes. My favorite flowers are Calla Lily’s. No. I didn’t want to spell Lili’s name the same. Why? Because when she’s bad -which is pretty often, but we still love her- her name is Lilian.
Lili is our first-born. She is a Tabby Cat and a rescue kitty. Her likes are cuddle cardboard and to scratch EV-ERY-THING! Seriously, she will scratch my head if I let her. Her nickname is “bum” because she likes to have her butt pet and will incessantly wave it in your face until you do. It’s not like we’re petting her actual butt, but the area above her tale ya sickos! No one like’s to do it, but she is persistently letting you know that she wants pet and will yell at you if you don’t. I love that about her – she is a girl who knows what she wants and won’t back down. Her dislikes are flies, when you’re late with her treats (7 PM on the dot), excessive cuddles, and sometimes, Calla. She is by far the most grateful animal I’ve ever met. She loves my husband, but he’ll tell you that she is my cat.
Calla is our crazy, rambunctious, cautiously accident-prone, dog. She is a Toy Austrailian Shephard. If I tell you she’s something else later, it’s because I can never remember -for the life of me- what she is, but she’s ours and that’s all that matters. If Lili is the most grateful, Calla is definitely the most sincerely loving. If we let her, she’d kiss both Scott and me to death. Her nickname is “Grace” because since birth she’s been falling all over the place. No joke. At about 8-weeks old, 1-week into having her at home, she took a giant flying squirrel leap from the 12th stair and I thought she died. I mean, I almost did from a heart attack. Needless to say, Scott and I stayed home from work that day. While she is constantly falling, she always gets right back up. I love that about her – she’s carefree and a fighter. Her dislikes are when Scott or I leave the room, when you give her sister treats first, my Dad, and small children. Her likes are Cheese, “Mocha Bones”, my Mom aka “Grandma”, Scott’s mom aka “her Lolli”, and adults. My husband will tell you that she loves us equally, but… (I’ll just let that one linger).
Not. Everyone. Can. Be. Liked.
Not everything we do is totes-mcgoats amazing!
It is fact. Sometimes I get a chip on my shoulder and don’t like someone for reasons I’m 100% unsure of, sometimes my husband breathes too loud and I want to smother him, sometimes I grate my teeth on my fork, slurp my coffee, or sip my beer excessively, and he wants to divorce me. It happens, people!
I don’t believe that we are everyone’s cup of whiskey, so if you’re reading this and on your toes with the “do I” or “don’t I” like her tango, know that I understand and commend you for your honesty. If you’re reading this and ready to post some unnecessary negativity, please refer to the message provided by my friend Gary Vaynerchuk here.
Here are a few things that may or may not encourage us to exchange charm bracelets or necklaces -personally, I’m a necklace kind of gal- and become BFF’s for life:
- Family is LIFE. Whether it is the one you’re born into or one you create, you need a good support system to survive “this thing called life”.
- Music is also, LIFE. “Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life (see #1).” – Prince
- I STRONGLY BELIEVE chocolate could create world peace. Pro-tip: Caramello bars are the BEST caramel chocolate bar EVER, but if you want a good piece of milk chocolate, you need to go to Sarris Candy in Pittsburgh, Pa. LIFE. CHANGING. PEOPLE. Seriously, their slogan is “World’s Best Chocolate”. They’re not liars. Chocolate doesn’t lie.
- I believe taking risks for yourself teaches you more about you than playing it safe ever will.
- “Shit happens.” – Forrest Gump. Okay, so maybe he didn’t actually coin this, but I prefer to believe he did, because… Tom Hanks. Also, I don’t know what the word “safe” actually means and don’t believe it is possible to live life safely, because… well, shit happens.
- “Love your neighbor as you love yourself” is one of the best statements. I can’t think of anything greater than the human connection, which is why I Life Coach.
- I don’t consider myself religious, but I am spiritual. Peace!
- “Phalanges” is the most fun word to say and actually makes me laugh just thinking about it. Say it and be happy you did.
- Tinkerbell is my homegirl! She is sassy, cute, can make others fly, and she has an unfailing belief that something magical is possible. “Faith, trust, and pixie dust” gets me through quite a few situations.
- My Dad is arguably one of the best self-taught cooks. If it were my last day on this planet, I’d want his “pigs in a blanket” and broccoli casserole.
- Graffiti is not garbage.
- “Pittsburgh Steelers with a baseball bat!” – for all my yinzers. There is no way, in this life, that you will ever see me root for anyone above my Black and Gold! I love the Steelers, the Pirates, and the Pens! Pittsburgh is and will always be home!
- San Pedro, Belize is one of the most serene places I’ve ever been and the people there are beautiful. If you’ve never been, please do yourself a favor and go! Specifically, Ambergris Caye.
- Cruise ships are for winners!
- Disney IS the happiest place on earth. It is my 2nd home – thanks, Mom and Dad! I love you.
- I find that I take myself too seriously -a lot- I’m working on that.
- Stevie Nicks is the ultimate band babe, next to the Wilson sisters from the band “Heart”.
- Bell Bottoms and High Waister pants for LIFE!
- There will never be enough hair dyes or haircuts for me.
- I cannot do stinky smells. My husband tells me that I “smell too much”. If you stink, I’ll let you know.
- Fashion is a passion, but some might say it is my addiction. Vogue, girl!
- I actually love writing, but I don’t think I’m good at it.
- I’m addicted to personal development, but particularly the kind with swear words because I enjoy the realness.
- Fuck is on my top 5 list of favorite words. Maybe top 2… or 1?
- Mean girls/boys are absolutely ridiculous… if you’re a bully, at any age, you need a hug or to move to a remote island that is not on planet earth.
- I love candles all year-round.
- “I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” – Charles Dickens, I’m addicted to Christmas time 24/7, 365. “Santa! I know him!”
- I can recite almost all the lines from the movie “Grease” and “Pretty Woman” and maybe more. There’s a lot in there… I can’t remember.
- I love trivia.
- I love the dark. Dark horror or thriller movies, dark comedy, dark poetry, dark fashion -“All Black Everything”- and dark humor.
- Who takes your photos? All photography and any outfits creds will appear with each photo. If you have a question about anything, just email me.
- Where do you get your hair done? Hudson Salon in Mooresville, NC
- Where do you live? Charlotte, NC
- Do you accept new Life Coaching clients? Always… but not everyone. Look, just as you have your inner circle of chosen people that you call a support system, it is important to be choosey about the Coach and Client relationship in the very same way. If I am a fit for you & you’re a fit for me, then we’ll work together. It is as simple as that. Shoot me a message and we’ll set up a consult call or you can connect with me here.
- What are your top favorite places to buy clothes? Forever 21, Esther, ASOS, ZARA, and Cut From the Same Cloth.
To work with Shannon directly, you may contact her here.